Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bacteria? i went to the doc today and my last appt they told me they was testing for a certain bacteria?

that sometimes occurs in women. the test was positive so they have to give antibiotics when i go in labor. what kind of bacteria is this and why do i have it? is it harmful to me and will it go away after i have this baby? what is this caused from?

Bacteria? i went to the doc today and my last appt they told me they was testing for a certain bacteria?
It's probably group B strep. I had it and they had to start an IV before I had my son. I know it's harmful to the baby but I don't know alot about it.
Reply:It's called strep b. i was also strep b positive during my second preg and labor. from my understanding, and i may be wrong,is it's not harmful to you b/c your body can fight it off..plus you will be given antibiotics during labor, but it could be potentially life threatening for your baby by causing meningitis (maybe other things). This is why when you go into labor you MUST go directly to the hospital. you want to make sure that you get the antibiotics before the baby comes. otherwise they will give the baby the antibiotic after birth. don't be scared...so many women are strep b positive. apparently it comes and goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment