Monday, November 16, 2009

Question on Flu (bacteria)?

I had gone to the doctors cause I wasn't getting better on Wed.. Turns out, there are 4 sub categories under Sore Throat: Viruses, Bacteria, Colds and allergies. The doc told me that I had "bacteria." What does it mean that I have "bacteria?" Did my doctor mean like "bacteria" like you find in foods (food poisioning) or did she meant some other kind of "bacteria?" I tried to ask her, but she kept talking over me and didn't get much info. Thankfully, she's not my primary physician, she was a total random doctor at this Urgent Care place that I had gone to.

Question on Flu (bacteria)?
Bacteria are one of the major types of organisms. Other major types are plants, animals, and fungus.





Most bacteria are harmless or beneficial, and that is fortunate because bacteria are everywhere! There are billions of bacteria on your skin right now! There are trillions of bacteria living inside your body.





A few bacteria cause diseases. Apparently, your doctor knows that your sore throat is caused by bacteria. The other causes of sore throat are viruses (which also cause colds) and allergies. Viruses are chemicals that aren't really alive, but they can take over a cell and cause it to make more copies of the virus, so in a way, they act like living things. If you have viruses living in the cells of your nose and throat, you get a sore throat. Allergies are a reaction of your body to something irritating like some types of pollen.
Reply:Bacteria, single-celled organisms, can cause strep throat, pneumonia and other conditions. They can be treated with antibiotics. However, viruses, which are smaller than bacteria, cause colds and flu and cannot be treated with antibiotics.





So, what you have is treatable, and is likely you got it from hand contact, or eatting something that had the bacteria on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment